Treated Water Frequently Asked Questions

How can I pay my water bill?

You may pay by cash, check, credit card, or electronic fund transfer.

1). Pay by mail using the return envelope, accompanying your water bill

2). Pay in person at the NID Business Center, 1036 West Main Street, Grass Valley, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Mondays through Fridays.

3). Pay at either of two Placer County drop boxes,

  • Outside the gate at the NID North Auburn Water Treatment Plant, 12200 Locksley Lane in North Auburn, or
  • Safeway, 2500 Bell Road in Auburn (box located near store entry).

4). Set up an automatic payment program through your bank. Download electronic fund transfer form.

What about water for my rental property?

A signed service application from the property owner is required. You may contact NID Customer Service to request a Landowner Consent to Tenant Billing, which will allow your tenant to receive water billings.

How is my bill calculated?

If you use piped, treated water, your bill is based on a minimum rate, depending on meter size. Water usage is calculated in hundred cubic feet (hcf). 1 hcf equals about 748 gallons of water.

Is NID water fluoridated?

No. There has not been strong support among district customers for adding fluoride to NID treated water supplies. Some water suppliers, primarily in metropolitan areas, add fluoride to public water as a way to reduce tooth decay, primarily in young people. Many more water suppliers have not moved to fluoridation. NID has not taken a position for or against fluoride. Parents concerned about the dental health of their children may wish to consider fluoride tablets.

How do I keep my pipes from freezing?

NID recommends that customers insulate all exposed outdoor pipes and faucets against winter’s chill. Frozen pipes can lead to loss of water and costly repairs. Inexpensive pipe wrap is available from local building supply stores.

Does my water meter need to be visible?

NID treated water customers are asked to keep vegetation trimmed around their water meter boxes. Meters that are easily accessible save time for NID meter readers, help keep costs down for the district and help with more accurate meter readings.

This has been a wet year. Will my water rates go down?

Drought or deluge, NID must be prepared. Costs for service continue. In cases of extreme drought, such as in the mid-1970s, water sales suffer yet service must continue. In very wet years, the district has faced rising costs for repair of flood and water damage. Overall costs of water service can be affected as much by too much water as by too little water. Download Drought Contingency Plan